Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When the cows come home



I know I already used that cliché once already in my blog, but I can't think of any other cow-related clichés at the moment. All the cows from Izzie-ville get taken out to graze every morning together, and come back together every afternoon, a lot like kids going off to school for the day, and coming home to their houses at night. For a long time this was a mystery to me - how, in a herd of 140 identical-looking cows, could you ever find the ones that belong to you to bring them home every night? The answer is, the cows know where they live, and go straight home. All you have to do is open the barn door at the right time, and the right cows will march right in. And in the morning, you just have to open the door again, and they'll march out and assemble in the open space outside of town to get led out to pasture. Pretty impressive for such a big, stupid-looking animal.