Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kicking off Biking Season

I have long suspected that my site is the perfect place for long bike trips. But the Peace Corps issues just one bike per volunteer, and since my sitemate doesn't ever want to bike with me and bike trips alone aren't nearly as much fun as with someone else, I haven't taken advantage of the fantastic biking trails in the area. I finally acquired a small fleet of three peace corps issued mountain bikes, borrowing them from nearby volunteers who weren't using theirs, so I can finally take my brothers or friends or visiting volunteers on serious bike trips. The first one was a trip to a lake about 30 km away from the village. I knew generally where it was, and had checked out the google satellite maps to be sure that there was a road leading there, but we still managed to get lost several times and had to ask random sheep herders for directions. After three hours of relatively hard biking we arrived at maybe the most beautiful view I've discovered yet in Morocco.