Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cynthia Berning, Professional Olive Oil Taster

Another random addition to my list of newly-acquired skills, a bit unexpected considering that my first year in Morocco I could not even eat olive oil straight with bread because it had such a strong flavor. And then one day I started loving it. Last week in Fes, my friend Gail and I brought together all the different olive oils we could find to learn how to taste them. Tara, an actual professional, led us through the steps of looking at the color, smelling, feeling, and tasting the different oils. It felt so sophisticated, and the seven oils we tasted were all extremely different. We decided the oil I brought from our village's olives that had been ground on a stone (not electric) press had hints of apple flavor, and most definitely an award-winner. Now I have to find someone who can give that award.