Wednesday, February 11, 2009

First Hanut Sale!.

So last week I took a few kilos of couscous with me to Midelt to my tutor's house, and it turns out her brother knows all the hanut owners in Midelt, so he set out with the couscous and came back an hour later with orders from three hanuts who wanted to start carrying it.

So that was exciting, and we packaged up the couscous and sent it along the next day to the hanuts, only to find out that afternoon that one of the hanut guys weighed the couscous and discovered that what we were selling as a kilo was really only 920 grams. So I at first thought that might have killed our business with those hanuts. But luckily they said if we take them back to Khoukhate, make them a kilo, and bring them back to Midelt, they'll still sell them, but for some reason that fixing hasn't happened yet. What's the holdup? I've been traveling a lot the past couple of weeks, so maybe next week we'll sort everything out and get things moving again. A very Peace Corps cliché observation, I know, but I guess things move a little more slowly here than I feel like they should. . .